Wednesday, April 29, 2009

how it all began

who knew that a couple of sticks and some yarn would be a key to unlocking a part of myself that i didn't even know was yearning to be unlocked? december 2007 was the beginning of a pretty spectacular turn in my creative life. i was at my friend kelly's house for a holiday dinner when i fell in love with a pair of slippers my friend tracie was wearing. what i first noticed about these slippers were the beautiful periwinkle and orange colors. i raved about them and was clearly a bit awe struck when she told me that she had made them. without prompting she said, "its easy, its just knitting . . . i could totally teach you". she had no idea what she was in for when she made that statement. just a few weeks later i took her up on her offer and hosted a small knitting night at my house with her, kelly, and a neighbor deann. that night i learned to knit . . . and by that i mean, literally, i learned the knit stitch . . . barely. it was difficult and as with most things, i did not catch on quickly (though kelly would disagree, its true, it was not easy for me). but, i was determined. i wanted to make a pair of those slippers! so, i kept at it and by our next knitting night, i had a sizeable start to a garter stitch scarf out of some surprisingly yummy acrylic yarn (my rise to the yarn snob that i am today came later). tracie was impressed (or at least made me feel that she was) and took me to the next step . . . the purl stitch. this didn't come any easier, but eventually i found my rythym with that too. she gave me the book "stitch and bitch" by debbie stoller, provided a few more phone calls and even a couple of house calls as i began my knitting journey. i started those slippers after a few more practice swatches and now know that it was a great project to start with. the pattern calls for a variety of different techniques and it was a great way to learn a lot with one project. unfortunately our knitting nights went by the way side, but the seed tracie planted was enough. and by the way, the seed stitch is probably my all-time favorite now. my love for knitting quickly became a passion or an obsession perhaps. and i'm not even ashamed to admit it. i've wanted to start a blog to keep track of projects, favorite patterns, etc. and finally i've done it. maybe nobody will ever read, but if you do, rest assured you will learn way more about my knitting life than you ever wanted to :). enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I had a spelling error and I just can't accept that. You're so sweet Sasha, is all that yarn in the photo from your stash? I jsut want to reach out and touch all of it! Went to knitting grounds for 1st time on Sunday, want to go with you when you get back--it was inspiring and looked so cozy. Glad to see you are thinking about fun things and feeling better...warm fuzzies and happy thoughts to you
    Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. another spelling error, not changing it again though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. tracie, i can't believe i spelled your name wrong. had to go back and change it. glad you stopped by. i'll be putting up more pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and no, its not my yarn. just a random image i found online.

    ReplyDelete